HUGH J. ZIMMER, SIOR, CRE, RICS
Chairman - Zimmer Companies, Inc.
Hugh Zimmer entered the commercial real estate business in 1953 and has been a leader in the industry locally, regionally and nationally for more than 60 years. In 2015, Mr. Zimmer retired as chairman of Zimmer Companies, Inc., a group of interrelated real estate firms that includes Zimmer Development Company, Zimmer Management Company and Newmark Grubb Zimmer as well as numerous project development and investment entities.
A leading developer in the region for over 45 years, Mr. Zimmer has been responsible for the development of over 2,900 acres of business parks and over 30 million square feet of commercial buildings throughout Kansas City as well as major markets across the country. Examples of these activities include the 330-acre AirWorld Technology Center development at Kansas City International Airport; the 310-acre Southlake Technology Park and the 260-acre Lenexa Industrial Park in suburban Johnson County, Kansas; and the recently completed 1.5 million-square-foot NNSA National Security Campus in Kansas City, Missouri. During this time, Mr. Zimmer also developed investment properties in St. Louis, Louisville, Memphis, Dallas, Atlanta, Oklahoma City and New Orleans.
Mr. Zimmer has been extremely active in promoting the overall growth of both Kansas and Missouri and has played an important role in many of the area’s economic development organizations. He has chaired the Kansas City Area Development Council, the Economic Development Corporation of Kansas City, the Convention and Visitors Bureau of Kansas City and The Hawthorn Foundation of Missouri. He has served on the boards of directors and executive committees of the Greater Kansas City Area Chamber of Commerce, the Platte County Economic Development Council and the Lenexa Economic Development Council. In 1998, the governing body of Lenexa, Kansas, made Mr. Zimmer an honorary citizen in recognition of his contributions to the area’s growth and development. He also served for many years as an advisory director of Commerce Bank of Kansas City and is a trustee of Midwest Research Institute.
Mr. Zimmer has also held prominent positions in several national and international real estate organizations. These include the Society of Industrial and Office Realtors (SIOR), where he served as national president in 1979. In 2010, the Kansas City chapter of the Urban Land Institute presented its Lifetime Achievement Award to Mr. Zimmer in recognition of his ongoing contributions to the built environment in the Kansas City region.
Mr. Zimmer is an eminent member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), one of the oldest and most prestigious real property organizations in the world, headquartered in London, England. Eminent membership comprises less than 1% of the RICS membership and represents the highest ranks of the property profession.
In 2010, Mr. Zimmer, a former chairman of the University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC) Trustees and Chancellor’s Institute for Urban Education National Advisory Board, received the university’s the Chancellor’s Medal in recognition of his contributions. This award is the highest non- academic award bestowed upon an individual by the university. Mr. Zimmer currently serves as a director of the UMKC Foundation for Higher Education. In 2014, the UMKC Trustees recognized Mr. Zimmer as the first recipient to follow Henry W. Bloch in receiving the Henry W. Bloch Trustee Excellence Award for his significant contributions and service to UMKC and the UMKC Trustees.
PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND AFFILIATIONS:
- Member, American Society of Real Estate Counselors (CRE)
- Trustee, Midwest Research Institute, 1992 – present
- Advisory director, Commerce Bank of Kansas City, NA, 1988 – 2010
- Advisory director, Kansas City Equity Partners, 1996 – 2006
- Regional Entrepreneur of the Year, Henry W. Bloch School of Business and Public Administration, University of Missouri-Kansas City, 2004
- Chairman, Kansas City Convention & Visitors Association (now Visit KC), 1984 – 1985
- Executive committee member, Greater Kansas City Area Chamber of Commerce, 1983 – 1985
- Chairman, Kansas City Area Development Council, 1982 – 1984
- Executive committee member, National Association of Realtors (NAR), 1978 – 1982
- National president, Society of Industrial and Office Realtors (SIOR), 1979
- Realtor of the Year, Metropolitan Kansas City Board of Realtors, 1975
- President, Metropolitan Kansas City Board of Realtors,1973
- Licensed real estate salesperson, states of Missouri and Kansas
Mr. Zimmer holds a degree in finance and real estate from the Wharton School of Finance at the University of Pennsylvania.